Thursday, December 2, 2010

up $200 today after a disasterous day yesterday

My 22 point loss in the futures yesterday was a huge blow, and it wasn't the first time I've been blown out like that. I have this mental picture that I can trade the futures like I swing trade, where the intraday moves aren't important, but the raw numbers are just too large. Being down $1200 in a day is too much, especially when it looks like a correction may have ended. I had two other trades yesterday that were losers, another futures trade (which fortunately I stopped out on) and a currency trade that I got stopped on.

Today I've had 1 day trade, 1 futures trade and 2 currency trades that were winners, for a total of about $200 in profit.

Its so intoxicating to have a few winners and then start thinking bigger. And this isn't unwarranted, I just need to think bigger within the box by letting the existing trades run longer. The future trade I made this morning was good for a point, and its run 12 points since then, or half of my loss from yesterday. And yet, once I'm up a little I grab it. Confidence needs to turn into letting a winner run, not trying a different strategy, which was to go short a future and think I'll just check in on it in a few days.

I seem to have a winner with the 2 minute/10 minute setup, I need to stick with that and let them run, or at least see how well I can do over a longer term.

No comments:

Post a Comment