Monday, December 27, 2010

A good day of discipline

Gross of $35 day trading, but very good discipline. I didn't fight the market on the SPY's, and I was patient enough to let things work. I did several other trades beside the spys and only had one loser, although only for pennies, 7 cents and 12 cents.

I was very disappointed in myself at the loss from the week before last and even last week when I was showing wrong discipline by going against the market. I felt like a fraud, like everything I've said or worked towards was a lie because I had failed to put any air in the tires.

I did good, though, I spotted a cup and handle formation and a pennant that both indicated a higher market.

Its interesting, I'm exploring how easy or hard it is to just run with the SPY's vs. doing the other kinds of trades. I'm not a fast momentum trader, almost for sure, I just have no confidence and usually the stops are very wide. The trades I picked were slow movers and felt ok.

It may be, though, that aside from a few very specific opportunities, like when the 30 minute and 10 minute are turning together, it may not be possible, meaning that I get chewed up on trading losses that more than make up for the gains.

I feel like I need to try it, though. It could be one of those things that resists being pinned down in the moment. Its so obvious in hindsight. I did make a couple of good SPY calls, I've noticed how there is a pattern of 3's in waves in the 2 minute and that a typical run is an hour so, and I caught the end of one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment