Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Blood Sugar was 147 today

For me that's not bad. One of the things that I was told about diabetes is that its a progressive disease, my sugar readings have slowly gone up over time. The new med that I'm on (JNJxxx or Glimiperide) is very effective. Before I could qualify for the trial I had to go on Metformin only, and my morning sugars were 220 or so. One doc told me that normal progression is to add one new treatment every decade, and I'm in my 50's so hopefully it won't get too bad as I age.

Getting diagnosed was a pretty hard slap in the face with respect to my lifestyle around food, which pretty much was to not pay attention and eat as much as I wanted to. Its been a tough road to learn discipline, but I've made solid progress. Before I went on this one and started losing weight I had already lost 35 pounds over a couple of years by making changes. Those changes are the reason that I am confident that I can keep it off after losing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment